Pages

Sunday, November 28, 2010

Serial Swindler

Do you recall the man from this post, readers? Well, I didn't tell you, but I saw him again in September. Only that time he was screaming about how he'd lost a bed lottery at MIT and needed seven dollars to get on the commuter rail at Porter Square (for reasons I've now forgotten). And even though I recognized him, I gave him the two dollars in my wallet, because his story was so convincing that I assumed he'd been telling the truth both times. Except that I saw him get off before Porter Square and run to a different train car with our seven dollars. Maybe he wanted Raisinets for the journey.

But then I saw him again. And again he proclaimed an incredible tale of uber-specific misfortune to the entire train car.

"Can anyone on this train give me 22 bucks to get a picture ID? I'm up for my section 8 housing, but they won't see me if I don't have a picture ID... I've waited months and months for this, and all I need to do is get through the RMV. I already got three dollars from the cafeteria at Mass General before I got kicked out by the cops. Please everyone, can you spare anything? Two dollars or three dollars just to get me through the RMV. I just want a roof over my head. Please, I just want a bed."

Always rush hour, always between Park Street and Harvard Square stations, always the middle of the train. Who cares if he's a repeat offender? He's creative, he does his research... the guy is good. No wonder the MBTA is following him.

2 comments:

  1. anna, next time you see him, please give him a buck from me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I saw him again the day after you posted this! And I gave him a dollar for you, but I'm starting to think I don't like his game...

    ReplyDelete