Pages

Sunday, November 14, 2010

Squeaky Wheel

I've become the kind of person who wears the same pair of shoes every day. And though my current pair is pretty new, they've developed a quirk that defines me wherever I walk. That is to say, the right one has. It makes a rubbery squack every time it meets a walking surface. It happens on concrete, gravel, brick, and even certain carpets. I've investigated the sole of the shoe many times, but I think I'm going to have to call in a professional. For now, I'm enjoying the audible rhythm of my days and the backwards glances from walkers past and the fascinated stares from their kids and pets. Step, click, step, squack, step, squeak. Broadcasting the pace of my life.

2 comments:

  1. This reminds me of when I was working as a manager in a shoe store. As someone who has spent 15 years in retail, most things don't surprise me. But this did. I actually had a woman come in, in extreme distress because the pair of heels she bought had developed a very strange squeek when she walked. I looked at her like she had five heads and wanted to say "so?" But she wouldn't let it go. And these shoes were worn to hell. She loved the shoes she said but couldn't stand the noise which seemed to really embarrass her. The last thing I wanted to do was give her her money back because the right foot on old pair of heels was starting to squeek when she walked. So I did what a good retail manager would do- I made her walk around the store in them. And they did squeek quite loudly! So then I carefully examined the shoe very seriously (and very perplexedly) bending and twisting the shoe to try to recreate the aforementioned noise. nothing. So as a last resort I told her I would take them to our cobbler and have him fix it...doubting the whole time it would do anything but by me some time. Of course I assured her "it wouldn't be a problem." And wouldn't ya know, when they came back- no squeek! So you see, I just wanted to let you know that apparently a professional can indeed fix a squeeky shoe. I'll give you his number ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Excellent, because the other one has recently joined in the fun.

    ReplyDelete