Pages

Sunday, November 7, 2010

Random Acts of Worship, Pt. 1

There is an idol in a box along Willow Street in Somerville. It's set in front of the porch of a blue house on an all-residential block. I think it's Jesus, but I'm not sure. It is a little Prince dressed all in white with a cape and crown. He's worn and water-damaged, but there are usually some fresh flowers in front of and around his box. I have seen him many times and thought about taking a picture of him for the blog, but I wasn't sure if he really spoke for himself.

A few days ago, I saw an old man in a blue L.L. Bean jacket standing before the prince with bowed head. It was pretty cold out, but the man braved the wind with his bare hands folded softly across his chest. There are churches all over the neighborhood. I had to wonder why the man chose that place to pause.

1 comment: