Pages

Thursday, August 5, 2010

War and Peace

Yesterday I started reading this famously gargantuan book. It is difficult to read it on the T, starting and stopping to tune in to my location. But it is even more challenging to focus when everyone around me sees the front cover as a stimulus for conversation.

"Oh, wow! I can't believe you are really reading the whole thing!"
or
"Man, props to you if you finish that thing."
and
"Haha! Wow! I didn't know people really read that thing."

Mostly statements ending in "thing." But I should have expected this going onto the T - I've often read over my neighbors' shoulders to find the titles of their choosing. Or just to pass the time. And why should I expect them to withhold their curiosities when I have a whole blog about my own? There's plenty of time to read between the little chats.

After all, the thing's a legend. It's not going anywhere.

2 comments:

  1. I only read books that get a reaction from people, too. But sometimes it is nice to get a good dust jacket to cover up the low brow drivel that may suit your fancy. For instance, hide your John Grisham or Martini novel behind a Thus Spake Zarathustra, Foucalt's Pendullum or Ulysses dust Jacket--all the wow, without the headache.

    ReplyDelete
  2. PS MARY CATHERINE IS JOHN. WE GOT MARRIED WE ARE ONE. BUT I ALSO DON"T HAVE A GMAIL ACCOUNT.

    ReplyDelete