Pages

Thursday, August 5, 2010

Meanwhile

...while I discussed Russian literature with an interested neighbor on the train, a couple across from me was having a heated argument. The fighters looked strung out and filthy. They swore and wrestled in their seats. Everyone on the train tried hard to ignore them. Or at least, tried to look like they could ignore them. A mom down the train tried to distract her two little girls, who stared hard.

I continued talking to the man, trying to be heard over the combined noise of the train and the fight. I wished he would stop asking me questions, because we were way beyond the accepted volume range of small talk. The train quieted as we pulled into the next station. The couple stood up to leave, and I saw that they were holding hands now and exchanging soft kisses.

My new acquaintance had also noticed their exit. "A little bit of PDA is healthy," he said. I laughed into my shoulder as the train moved on.

No comments:

Post a Comment