Pages

Saturday, September 25, 2010

Urban Campers

I went to a church for rehearsal tonight, but it took me a little while to find the entrance. The first side I approached had some door-like structures, but none with hinges or handles. As I continued to investigate, I saw a disheveled sleeping bag along the side of the wall. There was a woman curled up in there. She was dozing contentedly on her side with her hands balled under her chin and one leg stuck out for air. Three other people were just around the corner, with their backs against the wall of the church, smoking under the spotlight and laughing. They had piles of soiled blankets and holey duffel bags. They looked inquisitively at me when I passed, probably wondering why I had strayed from the sidewalk in the first place. I diverted my eyes and quickened my step to get into the church. When I came out after rehearsal, the whole group had retired. Two people were peacefully spooning on top of their sleeping bag. It was a perfect night to sleep in the open air.

1 comment:

  1. You just hope they had the same mentality of feeling enriched by what what they did not have was giving them.

    ReplyDelete