Pages

Monday, September 20, 2010

I Can Imagine

I got slowed down tonight as I fell in behind a family of five on my walk home. The mother was explaining the phenomenon of dry ice to her youngest son. The father was directly ahead with the older boys, and all of them wore big sweatshirts. After we'd passed a few houses, I noticed that the little boy started winding his steps to the left. I thought he was scared of me or something, but then I saw him drag his mom over and motion to his brothers. They were making room for me to pass. I was so tired that I had hardly noticed the change in pace, but I decided I'd better gun it ahead after their collective gesture.

"Young and fit!" the father said to me as I passed.
"Just anxious to be home, is all," I said, turning back a little.
"I can imagine," he said with a big, charming grin. I smiled back.

I headed home at my new quick pace, figuring I might as well finish what I started. But the whole way home, I found myself trying to interpret the father's remark. Did he know that I had just finished work, that I had stayed later than usual? Did he know that I wasn't dressed warm enough for the weather? Maybe he was ready for bed too and commiserating. Do people say they "can imagine" now when they're commiserating? Or is it a catch phrase that he's known for saying all the time, even inappropriately? Like, "It's hot, huh?" - "I can imagine."

It really could have meant anything.

I got a clearer message from his face, which I'm pretty sure went something like this: "Hey neighbor, life is good. Enjoy the night."

No comments:

Post a Comment