Pages

Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Nuclear / Snack Fare

My boyfriend got ahead of me coming over the Mass Ave. bridge on our bikes the other day. By the time I caught up to him, he was pulled over talking to another biker, a fortyish round man with ruddy cheeks and no helmet. I caught the tail end of their exchange.

“Yeah... see that smoke over there? That’s a nuc, right here on campus. That’s the Cambridge nuc!” The man pointed to a hazy vent on an MIT building.
“Oh really? Geez, I never woulda guessed...” said Morgan. I wasn’t sure if I was allowed to laugh, not knowing what led into his remark.
“Oh yeah. You spend enough time around campus you get to know things... like MIT’s got the best sandwiches, but then at Harvard you’ve got those handsome scholars bakin’ you cookies...”
“Wow. Thanks for the inside scoop,” I said, confused and sort of thrilled at my timing.
“Have a good day!” Morgan said, starting out home.
“You too.”

As Morgan and I rode away, I pressed him for the information I had missed. Did he know that man? What was his story? Or how did they end up talking?
“He just pulled up and started in on the nuc.” Excellent.

No comments:

Post a Comment