Pages

Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Come As You Are

When my train pulled into Harvard the other day, the engineer announced that the train was going express to the end of the line, so most of the passengers and I got out to catch the next train. As we waited, an old man started singing really loudly, and everyone else got quiet. I didn't know his song, but this man had soul. The people on either side of me smiled, and we shared impressed looks that said, "Wow, he's really wailing..." The singer made his way over to us as he finished his song, and I clapped lightly, secretly hoping to be joined by the whole crowd.

"Name a band - any band!" he shouted to the man next to me. It got loud then as the next train pulled in, but through the closing doors, I heard the singer start up his unlikely encore - Nirvana. 

No comments:

Post a Comment